Thursday, July 26, 2012

 I.
I am working nights/swimming inside my skin.
I am more aware of the arches of my feet and my sodium intake than ever before.
I stroke my eyelids, feeling round little melons underneath.


II.
Four circles of colored paper on the angled wall of an attic bedroom: green blue blue orange.
Happy Birthday, Kathryn, Dear.


III.
Imagine telling yourself that you
Imagine that you knew 
Imagine that you knew
Imagine that you knew

IV.
A woman knows she will die soon.  She watches saline solution drip into her veins.
At her burial, I will take a eucalyptus leaf from the bouquet atop her coffin.
In the car, I will slice the leaf open with my thumbnail and rub the juices into her photograph.
I will believe that she smells eucalyptus then.

V.
My mother has a cloth advent calendar.  Each day has a metal indent, like on a raincoat, and we snap a little stuffed star into each day until Christmas comes.
On the black table is a eucalyptus wreath, white and purple candles.

VI.
She gave me a purple shirt, purple fleece I don't remember if I gave it away when I was packing shit, a watch that never worked, money for my graduation, a green 

I have a thank you card with her name on it.

1 comment: